Saturday, April 4, 2009

Rewriting for a Deadline

On Thursday I had a workshop with the members of the Professional Playwright's Unit at the Puerto Rican Traveling Theatre for "Chloe's Autumn" the play that I'm having a stage reading for on April 13th. They gave me some great feed back. I've digested it and today I started rewriting the play. 

The entire second act is being rewritten. I'm cutting one character that I added, but realized that I shouldn't have. I'm developing the relationships of the four characters, because one of the notes the Unit gave me was that "they were too on the surface, that I need to go deeper." I'm not sure if I can pull the latter off in three days, but I'm sure going to try.

I decided that the title "Chloe's Autumn" doesn't work anymore for the play, I'm going to re-title it "A Room For Four". I'm notorious for changing my play's titles; just ask the Nevada Conservatory Theatre, who produced my thesis show. I changed the title of the play after they had published the marketing and the tickets; let's just say they weren't happy with me. All I had to say was this, "a new play is always changing and so does it's title".

Next time around this week, I'll have had my first rehearsal with my actors and director. Am I scared? A bit. I just hope I haven't bit more than I can chew. 

No comments:

Post a Comment