Friday, May 29, 2009

Lucky!

Three days ago, one of my former students from UNLV sent me a message on Facebook with the subject line that read "Lucky", this is what he had to say...

Hey Oscar, 
This is J.. I took your Gay Plays class Fall of '07 (pretty much still one of my favorite classes). You popped up on the side under Suggestions and I saw that you put New York as the place you live. Lucky! When did you move there? That is pretty much my favorite place on Earth and somewhere that I'm planning on moving to. Which is also why I sent this message.
 
I've always loved theater, ever since I was a kid. Even so, I never went to New York or saw a Broadway show because the thought just never really crossed my mind, as it seemed so unrealistic. And then you had to go talk in class about "Legally Blonde: The Musical". You went on and on about it to the point where my interest was ridiculously peaked. That led to me buying the album, seeing the MTV recording, and going to New York last May to see it while Laura Bell Bundy was still in the cast. Luckily I also saw "Gypsy", "In The Heights", and a couple others. Since then I have taken two other trips to New York, with this past trip in February putting an additional 25 shows onto my roster. I just love Broadway so very much. 

So I basically wanted to thank you. People always talk about the teacher who changed their life or made this huge impact. And while I'm hardly trying to evoke some " Oh Captain, My Captain" moment, I really want you to know that you made a profound difference. Your class and what you did reignited my love for theater and made it now expand to where true theater actually is. So for that I am eternally indebted and just want to truly thank you from the bottom of my heart. :)

Sincerely, 
J.


After reading his message several times, I decided that I was lucky, lucky not because I was living in New York and following my dreams to be a playwright, but lucky because I got the chance to evoke his love for theatre again. I know what I need to do with my life, I need to teach and be a playwright. Those are the two things I know how to to do best in this world.

And thank you J. for reminding me how lucky I am to be able to teach all of you...! I thank you from the bottom of my heart...! 

No comments:

Post a Comment