Friday, May 1, 2009

Quote of the Day

"The revivals aren't reviving!"

(This quote comes from one of my callers that I called yesterday in reference to the Roundabout Theatre Company's 08/09 Season) 

I just thought it was really interesting what she had to say, she commented on wanting to see more edgier new stuff. For the most part Roundabout only produces revivals. I mean we are currently producing "Distracted" with Cynthia Nixon at the Laura Pels Theatre, a new edgy comedy by Lisa Loomer, but other than that they are all revivals. How unfortunate for new emerging playwrights like myself that everything that Broadway is producing is revivals, and the new shows that are being produced are just movies made into musicals such as "Shrek: The Musical" or "9 to 5" that just opened last night. 

Is there hope for new work to thrive on Broadway? Hopefully, in the years to come, we get more shows like "In the Heights," who won the Tony for Best Musical last season or the brand new rock musical "Next to Normal" which I'm sure will be nominated and win the Tony for Best Musical this year. We need original shows; Broadway is starving for new original work. How many times can we revive "Gypsy" without it being boring or stale? Maybe this is my time to write a brand original musical, and believe me, I do have some fresh new ideas...I just have to start writing them down, and maybe, just maybe one day my original musical will be produced in the Big White Wave.  

No comments:

Post a Comment